Intuitive (N) + Thinking (T)
NTs (Intellectuals) are introspective, logical and on a constant quest for knowledge. They are practical and unsentimental in their approach to problem solving. The actions of an NT are precise and follow a systematic course. Abstract, theoretical and technically adept, NTs are naturally inventive. They can also be described as being analytical, intellectual, inquisitive, independent and complex.
Intellectuals are intelligent, independent and determined. They are high-achievers, driven not only to acquire but also to master large amounts of information. They are self-sufficient, logical and value reason. While Intellectuals have a desire to know everything, they also tend to question anything. Their keen interest in investigation and questioning make them great researchers and inventors.
NTs are good at seeing the “big picture.” They work well alone and are able to concentrate and study for long periods of time. Intellectuals enjoy abstract and theoretical discussions. They respect brilliance and self-reliance in others. Intellectuals dislike illogical instructions and emotional conversations.
“The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts.” — C.S. Lewis
NT Personality Types
The four NT “Intellectual” personality types are listed below.
Chiefs are natural and decisive leaders. They are analytical, efficient and hard working. They live in the world of ideas and have a great ability to debate. Their goal-oriented and self-confident nature enables them to take charge. They thrive on achievement.
ENTPs are innovative, flexible and see possibilities. They are enthusiastic about generating ideas. They are intellectually quick and skilled. They thrive at finding solutions to technical problems. They are gifted at coming up with new approaches.
INTJs are private, independent and self-confident. They strive for achievement. They are gifted strategists with analytical, conceptual and objective minds. They are flexible and like to formulate contingency plans. They see the reasons behind things.
Engineers are easygoing yet private. They are logical and enjoy analyzing complex problems. They thrive on the theoretical and like to figure out how things work. They do not like rigid rules and often do not abide by them. They are independent intellectuals.
- Thomas EdisonInventor
- Margaret ThatcherBritish Prime Minister
- Franklin RooseveltAmerican President
- Harrison FordActor
- Thomas JeffersonAmerican President
- Julia ChildChef, Author
- Walter RaleighWriter, Poet, Explorer
- Nikola TeslaInventor, Physicist
- Bill GatesMicrosoft Founder
- Sir Isaac NewtonAstronomer
- Jane AustenAuthor
- C. S. LewisApologist, Author
- SchwarzeneggerActor, Calif. Governor
- Walt DisneyEntrepreneur
- Lance ArmstrongCyclist
- Meryl StreepActress
- Carl JungPsychiatrist
- Albert EinsteinPhysicist
- Abraham LincolnAmerican President
- SocratesGreek Philosopher
- Susan B. AnthonyCivil Rights Leader
- GandalfLord of the Rings
- ‘Doc’ BrownBack to the Future
- Cosmo KramerSeinfeld
- Bugs BunnyLooney Tunes
- Mr. DarcyPride and Prejudice
- Michael CorleoneThe Godfather
- DataStar Trek
Intellectual Career Matches
NTs are commonly skilled at and often find satisfaction with the following careers.
- Systems Analyst
- NTs make up only about 12% of the general population.
- Female NTs are the most rare of all temperament-gender combinations, at just 3% of all people.
- Many notable thinkers, inventors and scientists have been NTs.