They say you can tell a lot about someone by observing what makes them laugh. For this very reason, we judge one another by our sense of humor. Being the self-confident extroverts they are, ESTPs are one of the Myers-Briggs personality types with the most expressive and straightforward humor. They are fierce risk-takers, always ready for action, so people should expect a lot of physical or slapstick jokes from them. Simultaneously, the ESTP personality type is charming and jovial, so one can expect loads of laughter and interesting small talk when they are around.
ESTP, better known as The Daredevil, is quite unpredictable. They are always on the lookout for new adventures, seeking the next big adrenaline rush to keep their spirits high. You will not have a dull moment in the company of an ESTP, nor will you be able to predict where their next joke may come from. That said, ESTPs are one to easily walk away from an activity or a conversation as soon as they become disinterested.
Even though they are assertive personalities bursting with self-confidence, ESTPs tend to adapt their behavior in accordance with the people around them. Being exceptionally observant of body language and facial expressions, ESTPs will read people’s moods and try to adjust to that. This MBTI personality shows their true colors only in the company of their close ones, those with who they’re most comfortable. When such is the case, they will go above and beyond to keep the atmosphere light and people entertained, often at their own expense.
We will try and paint an ESTP portrait by presenting their sense of humor and why people enjoy their company. After reading this, you will better understand this energetic, charming, and communicative MBTI personality type.
ESTPs love being in the spotlight, entertaining others. For this purpose, they will inculcate different styles of humor to keep the masses amused. So much so that, they will not mind making jokes at their expense if it could liven up the atmosphere. Apart from their charm and energy, people love being around ESTPs because of their versatile sense of humor, which can range from slapstick jokes to very dry, sarcastic, deadpan responses. The form of humor ESTPs indulge in would depend on the crowd they “perform” for and the mood they are in. Namely, ESTPs will show their true colors when surrounded by close friends who understand their jokes. Otherwise, when people struggle to get an ESTP’s sense of humor, these personalities may feel quickly overwhelmed and move on, searching for a new exciting crowd to amuse.
It is no secret that humor is often used as a defense mechanism that many of us use to mask our true feelings. Although an ESTP is an incredibly blunt and very “in your face” type who is not afraid to share their opinions, they especially do so in unfamiliar situations. Far from their comfort zone, ESTPs may use blunt, often acid humor to cover their insecurities or vulnerability. Other MBTI personality types that are hilarious when in the right company, like ESTPs, are ESFJs and INTPs. INTPs can be quite entertaining when feeling comfortable due to their rich inner world. ESFPs and ENTPs are also fun to be around because as extroverted personalities they tend to be the heart of the party keeping others amused.
ESTPs will adapt to their audience and circumstances with a wide range of jokes. Let’s see how this personality type handles different types of humor.
- ESTPs love to make others laugh and, as energetic and action-oriented personality types, they will often use physical or slapstick humor packed with falling, tripping, or impersonating theatrics. Their humor may often be self-deprecating, especially if they feel comfortable enough and know that they will not be judged or ridiculed for taking the joke too far.
- This enthusiastic personality type will enjoy a good pun or an absurd joke. They love exchanging puns, especially with people who share a similar sense of humor. That said, they may feel easily overwhelmed when surrounded by people who may not understand their witty wordplay. As an action-seeking constantly on-the-move type, ESTPs find it a waste of time when they have to explain a joke.
- They may nurture a direct communication style, but ESTPs also enjoy sarcasm. As Thinking types who do not engage with other people’s feelings, ESTPs are great at coming up with perfect sarcastic responses. This is one of the reasons why people love being around ESTP personalities. They enjoy their witty, sharp sarcasm provided it is not directed at them. On the other hand, ESTPs may struggle to understand a sarcastic joke if the delivery is too dry.
- ESTPs enjoy exciting action-pumped situations. However, they may not enjoy pranks. Even though they are the energetic and physical type, they may find devising and executing never-ending practical jokes exhausting and irritating. Nevertheless, this personality type may enjoy small pranks from time to time, as long as the overall atmosphere is light and friendly.
- ESTPs are fond of inside jokes because this makes them feel special and popular. They are charismatic charmers who make contacts easily. Being the Thinking type, ESTPs don’t intentionally crave attention and popularity, but they certainly do enjoy it. And for this reason, they see sharing numerous inside jokes with others as a sign that they are well-liked.
- When it comes to dark humor, ESTPs are ambivalent towards it. They may enjoy making dark jokes and even go too far without noticing it. But on the other hand, ESTPs may get upset when these jokes are aimed at things or people they care about. This may come as a surprise though, as ESTPs are known as people who do not easily take things to the heart.
Now that we have described how ESTPs indulge in a variety of jokes, let’s present several examples of typical ESTP jokes that will paint a clearer picture of this MBTI type’s sense of humor.
Even though they may not be the most frequent personality type in the MBTI spectrum, with estimates that range from 4% to 10% of the general population, ESTPs are often the focus of attention of numerous meme-makers. Thus, different social media platforms are filled with funny memes, tackling the most prominent ESTP traits. Here are some websites perfect for those who seek witty ESTP memes.
This is an interesting social networking site that enables users to create “boards” related to their interests and ideas, and share them with others. And by doing so, they create different communities where they can communicate with other pinners by sending them messages or sharing pins. We have found a couple of ESTP memes that perfectly depicts their perception of life.
This is another social networking site based on community engagement that brings together people with shared interests. Apart from exchanging opinions on various topics that they may have in common, users can also upload memes and get rated by others. When it comes to amusing memes about ESTP personality type, they are usually related to their tendency to jump into risky situations for the thrill of it. An array of memes also tackle their struggle with following strict plans, as well as their over-the-top self-confidence.
The ESTP personality type is an inexhaustible source of energy, always seeking challenging situations to jump in without hesitation. Being communicative, charming, and charismatic, they are often those who make the atmosphere enjoyable and light. They enjoy being the most popular in the room, so it is not surprising that we can find an array of ESTP personalities as famous actors, leaders, and athletes. Here, you will find some of the most remarkable quotes by famous ESTP personalities and characters. Also, we have made an extensive list of famous ESTPs, if you want to check that out.
“If every choice you make comes from an honest place, you are solid, and nothing anyone can say can rock you or change your opinion.” – Angelina Jolie
“I stand for the freedom of expression, doing what you believe in, and going after your dreams.” – Madonna Ciccone
“Life is short. Anything could happen, and it usually does, so there is no point in sitting around, thinking about all the ifs and buts.”– Amy Winehouse
“What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes”- Harry Houdini
“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.” – Sirius Black in Harry Potter
“To live a life, you need problems. If you get everything you want the minute you want it, then what’s the point of living?” – Jake the Dog in Adventure Time
“Excuse me for doing my job thoroughly… and with style.” – Lance Hunter in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
“We have to live a life of no regrets.” – Portgas D. Ace in One Piece
We hope that you found this article about the ESTP’s sense of humor as amusing as this personality type actually is. The truth is, they may take jokes too far at times, but ESTPs only do this to entertain others and not with an intention to hurt.