The Enneagram Personality model is shown, due to its nine-sided circular shape, on an Enneagram. Each of the nine points represents an Enneagram personality, many of which are interconnected. During testing, individuals establish what their dominant Enneagram type is.
However, not everyone falls under only one umbrella of the nine. The dominant Enneagram type is affected by its wings—the personality types to either side of it. Also, one of them will have a greater impact on the overall personality. For example, an Enneagram 3 wing 4 has a dominant Enneagram type of Three and a wing of Four.
Additionally, in times of growth and stress, Enneagram types follow the alternate paths of their integration and disintegration arrows. When in a stage of personal development, they will assume the very best characteristics of their integration type. Conversely, under extreme stress, they’ll lean toward the very worst traits of their disintegration type.
What Does 3w4 Mean?
The results of Enneagram testing show a dominant Enneagram type—represented by the first number. The ‘w’ abbreviates the word ‘wing’ and the second number represents the dominant wing. The wings are the two personality types adjacent to the dominant Enneagram type. In 3w4 Enneagrams, most personality traits will come from the dominant type, Three, but many characteristics of Fours will also come through.
- While Threes need others to recognize their successes, Fours both desire and despise being seen as unique. Being uniquely successful may be something that a 3w4 Enneagram finds encouraging.
Enneagram 3 wing 4’s will assume most of the attributes common to Threes. However, in addition, facets of Fours will surface.
- A common characteristic of Threes and Fours, which will probably be present in 3w4 Enneagrams, is the appreciation of aesthetic beauty, both appreciate attractive presentation.
- 3w4 Enneagrams could also be amazing problem-solvers, due to the organized approach of Threes and the innovative input of Fours.
Primary Personality Traits (Enneagram type 3)
- Driven to succeed
Secondary Personality Traits (Enneagram type 4)
Unlike many other personality models, Enneagram typing explores the emotions and instincts that drive people to act in certain ways. In 3w4 Enneagram types, these incorporate the fears and desires of both Threes and Fours:
3w4 Enneagram types lean toward having the worries that affect Threes, such as:
- Threes fear failure and adapt in order to be seen as successful
3w4 Enneagram types are less affected by the concerns of Fours, namely:
- Fours fear that they may fade into insignificance.
Enneagram 3w4s may fear that their contributions are not distinct or innovative enough to be seen as successes.
3w4 Enneagram types face the same hopes as Threes, such as:
- Threes have an innate need to succeed and be recognized for their achievements.
3w4 Enneagram types may have a diminished amount of the needs of Fours:
- Fours want to be recognized for their unique talents and abilities.
Enneagram 3 wing 4 has many strengths. Here are just a few:
- With their conscientious, self-motivated, and innovative approach, 3w4 Enneagrams may astound their superiors and peers with ideas and solutions that others may not have considered.
Some weaknesses that Enneagram 3 wing 4s have to work on are:
- Fluctuating between overconfidence and insecurity, 3w4 Enneagrams may become temperamental if they don’t achieve the success they desire.
Direction of Growth and Stress
When in a phase of personal development, the dominant Enneagram type will follow the arrow of integration (growth) and will inherit that Enneagram personality’s most positive characteristics. In a state of disintegration (stress), they will show the worst aspects of the personality type along their stress arrow.
Growth Arrow to Six and One
While the growth arrow of Three (Six) will take precedence, some traits relating to the growth of Four (One) will also potentially show up.
In growth, 3w4 Enneagram types will show the positive aspects of:
Six (Threes’ integration):
- They become loyal, engaging, warmhearted, and able to sense the deeper emotions of others.
- Their need to be supportive, along with their responsible nature, may find them defending the less fortunate.
- They may align with others to achieve group goals.
One (Fours’ integration):
- They may use their imagination to solve complex problems through structured forethought.
- Despite being hardworking and driven, they’ll likely show integrity, charisma, and serenity.
Stress Arrow to Nine and Two
While Threes’ stress arrow (Nine) will take precedence, it’s likely that some Four stress arrow (Two) traits will also emerge.
In stress, 3w4 Enneagram types will exhibit the negative qualities of:
Nine (Threes’ disintegration):
- They may disengage emotionally and get stuck doing repetitive tasks.
- They may anxiously try to preserve the peace at all costs.
- If that doesn’t work, their sense of self-worth may suffer, and they’ll become defiant or even hostile.
Two (Fours’ disintegration):
- If they feel inconsequential, they might grow clingy.
- It’s likely that they’ll manipulate others into saying that they need them.
- Although they come across as modest, this may seem staged.
- They’ll possibly be aloof when they’re feeling as if they’re no longer valued.
Healthy vs. Unhealthy Enneagram 3w4s
No human is without emotion. And occasionally, those emotions spiral out of control or whirl with excitement. It’s during these times that Enneagram personalities are said to be in either a healthy or unhealthy state.
A Healthy 3w4 Enneagram type
- Becomes caring and sincere
- Grows confident in their innovative skills
- Keeps within socially acceptable boundaries regarding emotional displays
- Becomes increasingly accepting of themselves and trusts in the ability of others to succeed
An Average 3w4 Enneagram type
- Shows that their drive for success is most prevalent.
- May not be as extroverted as a 3w2 Enneagram or a dominant Three.
- Probably expresses themselves creatively in work, and appreciates acknowledgment for their achievements.
An Unhealthy 3w4 Enneagram type
- Withdraws into self-pity or manipulates, uses, and deceives others while short-cutting their way into presenting successful results.
- May push themselves even harder to achieve success, and they may drive themselves into a state of disintegration.
Here’s how Enneagram 3w4s can become better versions of themselves:
- Lean on the creative side of your Four wing. Instead of the way Threes stick to tried and tested methods of doing things, your Four wing may tempt you to take risks from time to time, and these may lead to new and inspiring successes.
- Allow your less dominant wing to help you grow. With Two’s helpful nature, you could more easily achieve success with your ability to inspire others. And, in the process, you’ll gain the appreciation and acceptance of others.
Famous people who are Type 3w4
Noteworthy 3w4 Enneagram people include:
- Cleopatra—Egypt’s last ruler of the Ptolemaic Kingdom
- Tom Cruise—American producer and actor
- Julius Caesar—Roman ruler and General
- Madonna—American singer and songwriter
Enneagram 3w4 vs 3w2
Below, we’ll compare some of the main similarities and differences of types 3w4 and 3w2.
The similarities between 3w4 Enneagram and 3w2 Enneagram may be found in their common connection.
Both 3w4 Enneagram and 3w4 Enneagram will probably be:
- Driven to succeed
- 3w4 Enneagrams may be successful with innovations and bright new concepts.
- 3w2 Enneagrams may find success in their ability to motivate and inspire others.
- Image conscious
- 3w4 Enneagrams enjoy elegance in themselves and the beauties of life, but this may be more for themselves to enjoy rather than to gain the approval of others.
- 3w2 Enneagrams are probably still image-conscious, but it is more likely to be for the enjoyment and appreciation of others.
The differences noted between 3w4 Enneagrams and 3w2 Enneagrams arise from the varied personalities of Fours and Twos.
- The influence of the Four wing will probably bring a more innovative aspect to Threes, while 3w2 Enneagrams will be more people-oriented.
- While 3w2 Enneagrams may be congenial and extroverted, depending on how intense the influence of Four is over 3w4 Enneagrams, they may be more introverted and could seem aloof and quirky, or even mysterious.
- Also, 3w2 Enneagrams are likely to feel confident about their place in the world, while 3w4 Enneagrams sometimes feel out of place and alone.
The traits of Threes may be slightly altered in a 3w4 Enneagram, as opposed to a natural Three or a 3w2 Enneagram. Their drive for success will carry though, as this is the primary goal of Threes, as well as the need to present themselves well.
The uniqueness and creativity of Fours will probably surface as well, depending on the strength of the Four’s influence. So, a 3w4 Enneagram may be more prone to take risks in their pursuit of success.
Still, the Enneagram model strives to encourage personal development, and one way to do this is to allow the less dominant wing to become more involved.
To discover your Enneagram type, complete the Enneagram Personality Test.