While the Enneagram test reveals the dominant Enneagram type of an individual, this is just the beginning of a true understanding of the Enneagram. The reason the Enneagram Personality model was designed on an enneagram—a nine-sided circular figure—is the belief that many personality traits overlap.
An initial assumption may be that everyone fits into one of the Nine personality types, but this is infeasible. The overlapping traits usually come from the wings of the dominant Enneagram type. These are the Enneagram personality types to either side of the dominant type.
In the following article, we’ll be explicitly discussing Enneagram Type Threes that have a Two-Wing. We’ll go over what they took from their core type and how the wing can modify their motivations and personalities. Let’s begin.
What Does 3w2 Mean?
In 3w2 Enneagrams, the dominant type is Three, ‘w’ stands for ‘wing’, and the dominant wing is Two. This is established during testing, where individuals establish their dominant Enneagram type and dominant wing. Wings are the Enneagram types that are on either side of the dominant type. While both wings may rub off on the dominant personality, one will have a greater impact.
Enneagram 3w2s adopt most of the attributes common to Threes. However, in addition, many characteristics of Twos will appear.
- 3w2 Enneagrams will probably be extroverted motivators since these are traits common to both types.
- The need to succeed is also a common trait, though Twos acquire their success by helping others and Threes are driven to achieve in their own right.
Primary Personality Traits (Enneagram type 3)
- Stick to what they know
- May not engage in welfare societies
- High drive to achieve
- Value power
- Don’t fear rejection
- Self-assured of their competence
Secondary Personality Traits (Enneagram type 2)
- Helpful with a need to achieve
- Consider relationship-building of high importance
- May enjoy the pleasures of life
Unlike many other personality models, Enneagram typing explores the emotions that drive or motivate people. In 3w2 Enneagram types, this incorporates the fears and desires of both Threes and Twos:
3w2 Enneagram types lean toward having the same worries that affect Threes, such as:
- To feel unworthy, unnoticeable, and unimportant.
3w2 Enneagram types are less affected by the concerns of Twos, namely:
- To feel unlovable, unneeded, and unappreciated.
As a whole, Enneagram 3 wing 2s may fear fading into nothingness, not being loved, and being unworthy of notice.
3w2 Enneagram types will face the same hopes as Threes, such as:
- To feel worthy, noticed, and respected.
3w2 Enneagram types may have a diminished amount of the needs of Twos:
- To feel loved, needed, and appreciated.
An Enneagram 3 wing 2 has many strengths. Here are just a few:
- They’re organized, and with Two’s influence, they’ll probably be friendly and engaged.
- Their contagious enthusiasm and excellent motivational skills, alongside their ability of Twos to encourage, can make them outstanding and inspiring leaders.
Some of the weaknesses that Enneagram 3 wing 2s have to work on are:
- While they’re warm, sociable, friendly, and confident, 3w2 Enneagrams might try too hard to ensure that others approve of their own high expectations.
- Their need to win at all costs might, even with their helpful intentions, alienate them from others.
Direction of Growth and Stress
When individuals are in a stage of personal development or under extreme stress, their characters may follow their integration (growth) or disintegration (stress) lines or arrows—as shown on the Enneagram diagram. They could ascend to the best traits of their growth personality, or they may descend into the worst of their stress personality.
Growth Arrow to Six and Four
In the case of Enneagram 3w2, an individual will follow the integration and disintegration lines of both Threes (their dominant type) and Twos (their dominant wing).
In growth, 3w2 Enneagram types will show the positive aspects of:
Six (Three’s integration):
- How others view them may become less important, as they’ll be content with how they see themselves—as a result, they may become less superficial
Four (Two’s integration):
- Recognition may not be as essential to them, as they’ll feel more self-assured, so they may help without expecting anything in return.
Stress Arrow to Nine and Eight
While the Three stress arrow (Nine) will take precedence, it’s likely that some of the Two stress arrow’s (Eight) traits will emerge.
In stress, 3w2 Enneagram types will exhibit the negative qualities of:
Nine (Three’s disintegration):
- They could become isolated and withdrawn.
- They may put on a false air of confidence to hide their anxiety.
Eight (Two’s disintegration):
- Strangely, for compassionate and kind Twos, this is the time when they could become mean.
- They might turn to vengeful bullying.
- They could control others through force or manipulation.
- They may belittle others.
Healthy vs. Unhealthy Enneagram 3w2s
To have fluctuating emotions—whether that’s joy, sadness, indifference, or anger—is to be human. And so many varied situations can affect a person’s mood. Enneagram personalities during these times can be considered healthy or unhealthy.
A Healthy 3w2 Enneagram type
- May be excellent at encouraging and assisting others in achieving
- May be organized and productive.
An Average 3w2 Enneagram type
- May drive themselves without restraint in an attempt to impress others with their achievements.
- Is conscious of their image and ambitious, but could be more relaxed and social than a pure Three.
An Unhealthy 3w2 Enneagram type
- Could become exceedingly competitive, proud, and superficial if they fail at a task or project.
- May become pretentious if not rewarded for achieving excellent results—they may seem humble, but they might manipulate the desired response from others, or grow angry.
Here’s how 3w2 Enneagrams can become better versions of themselves:
- Couple the positivity of the dominant Three with the reassuring nature of your Two wing. While positive, Threes believe they earn love through success. Reassure yourself that people don’t expect this from you and will value you as you are.
- Allow the selfless sincerity of your Two wing to curb your competitive side. While being competitive is not a bad thing, it can isolate you from others. Instead of only striving for your own advancement, you can help others to do the same, since both Twos and Threes are natural mentors.
Famous People who are Type 3w2
Noteworthy 3w2 Enneagram people include:
- Barack Obama—44th President of the United States
- Will Smith—American actor, songwriter, singer, and comedian
- Aphrodite—Greek Goddess of Love
- Franz Liszt—Austrian composer of classical music
Enneagram 3w2 vs 3w4
There are both similarities and differences in Enneagrams 3w2s and 3w4s, we’ll have a look at some of the main ones below.
The similarities between the 3w2 Enneagram and 3w4 Enneagram may be found in their common connection.
Both 3w2 Enneagrams and 3w4 Enneagrams will likely be:
- The level of drive in Threes will very likely be ingrained in both 3w2 Enneagrams and 3w4 Enneagrams.
- While Threes are not particularly accepting of other traditions and beliefs, both Twos and Fours are—this trait could be present in both 2w3 Enneagrams and 3w4 Enneagrams.
- Fours are the most independent out of Twos, Threes, and Fours, however, the level of independence in Threes might be sufficiently present in 3w2 Enneagrams, aligning them with 3w4 Enneagrams.
The differences noted between 3w2 Enneagrams and 3w4 Enneagrams arise from the varied personalities of Twos and Fours.
- In order to feel valuable, Twos need to help others, Threes need to be successful, and Fours need to feel unique and significant.
- While goal-oriented Threes are dominant in both, a 3w2 Enneagram may be more driven to achieve on a personal and helpful level, while an Enneagram 3w4 may strive to achieve results for unique problems.
- Since both Twos and Threes are highly extroverted, Fours fall on the side of introverts—this makes a 3w2 Enneagram more extroverted than a 3w4 Enneagram.
- 3w2 Enneagrams enjoy the calm temperament present in Threes and Twos, while 3w4 Enneagrams are more likely to descend into melancholy or become moody.
Since Threes are highly driven and conscious of both their physical and environmental appearance, these characteristics are almost certain to be present in 3w2 Enneagrams. However, the influence of Twos could see them taking on a more social and warm personality.
Both Threes and Twos are motivators, Threes with an aim toward success and Twos with encouragement. This multifaceted skill will likely carry through to an Enneagram 3 wing 2. However, this type will need to be cautious that they don’t exhaust themselves in an effort to prove that they’re successful—especially when they’re not receiving validation from others.
To discover your Enneagram type, complete the Enneagram Personality Test.