INTP, Engineer, Intellectual, Introverted, Visual, Musical
- Your Results Snapshot
- Your Personality Type
- INTP - The "Engineer"
- Your Cognitive Functions
- Famous People of Your Type
- Career Matches for Your Type
- Your Temperament
- NT - The "Intellectual"
- Famous Intellectuals
- Intellectual Career Matches
- Your Preferences
- Extraversion vs. Introversion in You
- Sensing vs. Intuition in You
- Thinking vs. Feeling in You
- Judging vs. Perceiving in You
- Your Multiple Intelligences
- Your Spatial Intelligence
- Your Musical Intelligence
- Your Logical Intelligence
- Your Linguistic Intelligence
- Your Naturalist Intelligence
- Your Interpersonal Intelligence
- Your Kinesthetic Intelligence
- Your Intrapersonal Intelligence
- Your Career Matches
- Sharing and Saving Your Report
- Further Learning
Your Results Snapshot
You have a unique set of traits that make you who you are. The study of personality identifies and organizes your characteristics and behaviors in such a way as to help you better understand yourself. Your Personality Max report is intended to equip you to lead a more effective and fulfilling life.
Your Personality Type is INTP (Engineer)
Introverted (I) + Intuitive (N) + Thinking (T) + Perceiving (P)
Your Temperament is NT (Intellectual)
Intuitive (N) + Thinking (T)
Your Top Intelligences are Visual and Musical
"Personality is to a man what perfume is to a flower." — Charles M. Schwab
Your Personality Type
Your personality type is INTP. This is based on your four Preferences: Introversion (I), Intuition (N), Thinking (T) and Perceiving (P).
Many of today's theories of psychological typology are based on the work of Swiss psychiatrist Carl Gustav Jung, who wrote Psychological Types in 1921. He was the founder of analytical psychology, which studies the motivations underlying human behavior.
Your personality type is a detailed classification of the innate characteristics that make you who you are. Each of the four temperaments can be divided into four types, making a total of 16 distinct personality types. As with Temperament, your type is determined by the strength of your preferences.
No personality type is better than another. Each person has a unique set of equally valuable characteristics. Understanding your type can be useful in many ways, including relationships and school or career.
INTP - The "Engineer"
INTPs are easygoing yet private. They are logical and enjoy analyzing complex problems. They thrive on the theoretical and like to figure out how things work. They do not like rigid rules and often do not abide by them. They are independent intellectuals.
"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value." — Albert Einstein
INTPs direct their energy inward. They are energized by spending time alone. They are private and typically not socially inclined. Engineers are Intuitive. They are focused on the future and see endless possibilities. They are inventive, imaginative and complex. Their thought process is theoretical and abstract.
INTPs are Thinkers that make decisions with their head. They are impersonal, objective and logical. INTPs are carefree and spontaneous. They dislikes routine and rules. Engineers like to keep their options open. Their style is relaxed and flexible.
Engineers are acutely autonomous. They do not like feeling controlled. Traditional roles often seem debilitating since their focus is always on their intellectual pursuits. They respect people who are genuine. They are willing to sacrifice and are supportive in relationships they care about as long as their independence is respected. Relationships are on their radar but are not always of first importance.
INTPs are complex in their thinking and can produce a great number of ideas. They work well alone and are not always able or willing to communicate their complex thoughts to others. In the workplace they value honesty and integrity. They are impatient with redundancy and sloppy thinking. Intellectual honesty is highly prized by Engineers. If their job is not challenging intellectually, they can become disinterested and perform poorly.
Engineers love to learn. Although they enjoy networking and sharing ideas and knowledge they prefer solitude. They become bored unless the learning experience demands intellectual competence and mastery. They strive for flawlessness and conceptual perfection.
INTPs are highly intellectual people that are driven toward self-mastery and competency. INTPs are their own harshest critics. Their greatest contribution is the design of sophisticated models and theories that improve the lives of others.
Characteristic of an INTP
- Future Focused
- Rule breaking
- Laid back and easygoing
- Handles criticism well
- Not demanding
- Enthusiastic about their interests
- Imaginative and creative
- Not good at managing money
- Can be explosive
- Not good at communicating feelings
- Distrusting of others
- INTPs make up 2.5% of all 16 personality types. INTPs are one of the most rare personality types. Introversion, iNtuition and Perceiving are less common as dominant preferences than their opposites.
- 1 in every 25 males is an INTP (4% of all males). 1 in every 100 females is an INTP (1% of all females). Female INTPs are the third least common type-gender combination.
- There are significantly more male INTPs than there are female INTPs, with males outnumbering females 4 to 1. One reason there are more male INTPs is that males tend to be Thinkers (T) while females are more often Feelers (F).
Your Cognitive Functions
You engage the world through four cognitive functions. Each function is directed outward toward people and surroundings (Extraverted) or inward toward your thoughts (Introverted). Your primary function is Introverted Thinking and secondary is Extraverted Intuition.
Introverted Thinking (Primary Function)
You use this function most often. While Thinking (T), you make decisions based on logic and reason. The Introverted Thinking function enables you to categorize and analyze information that you receive. It is the ability to identify inconsistencies and know how things work as well the ability to solve problems.
Extraverted Intuition (Secondary Function)
Your use of this function is somewhat high. With Intuition (N), you process new information through impressions, possibilities and meanings. Extraverted Intuition is what allows you to see different paths or ways. When you receive information, you are able to see that there is more than one way to look at things.
Introverted Sensing (Tertiary Function)
You use this function but to a lesser degree. Through Sensing (S), you process data with your five senses. The Introverted Sensing function allows you to remember data in detail and to compare it with current information. It is the ability to link present experiences to past experiences in search for a connection.
Extraverted Feeling (Least Function)
You use this function least of the four. When Feeling (F), you make decisions based on feelings. The Extraverted Feeling function allows you to tune your behavior to the needs of others. Is it the ability to relate and the desire to connect with others with warmth and consideration as well as draw others out and responds to expressed or unexpressed needs.
Famous People of Your Type
Here is a sampling of famous people and fictional characters that are likely to be INTPs like you.
- Abraham LincolnAmerican President
- James MadisonAmerican President
- John Quincy AdamsAmerican President
- John TylerAmerican President
- Gerald FordAmerican President
- William HarveyMedical Doctor
- Charles DarwinEnglish Naturalist
- Rene DescartesFrench Philosopher
- Albert EinsteinPhysicist
- Blaise PascalFrench Mathematician
- SocratesGreek Philosopher
- Carl JungPsychiatrist
- William JamesPsychologist
- Rick MoranisActor (Honey, I Shrunk the Kids)
- Meryl StreepActress
- Bob NewhartComedian, Actor
- Jeff BingamanU.S. Senator
- Brent SpinerActor ("Data" on Star Trek)
- Mary-Kate OlsenActress (Full House)
- Ashley OlsenActress (Full House)
- Dr. Susan LewisE.R.
- AvonBlake's 7
- Seven of NineStar Trek: Voyager
- Peter ParkerSpiderman (Film)
- LinusPeanuts (Charlie Brown)
- Brian GriffinFamily Guy
- The DoctorDoctor Who
- DataStart Trek: The Next Generation
- FilburtRocko's Modern Life
Career Matches for Your Type
INTPs may find satisfaction with the following careers which tend to match well with their Engineer personality. This list is not exhaustive and these are not guaranteed to be perfect matches for you but this may be a helpful starting point if you are planning to pursue a new career.
- Technical Writer
- Strategic Planner
- Systems Analyst
- Computer Animator
- Computer Programmer
- Computer Specialist
- Network Specialist
- Legal Mediator
- Project Manager
- Financial Planner
Your temperament is NT since you lean toward the Intuition (N) and Thinking (T) preferences. We identify your temperament by the strength of your Preferences. Many psychologists, philosophers and other thinkers have for centuries proposed that there are four temperaments that can describe a person.
Temperament is a more broad classification than Personality Type. Each of the four temperaments is like an umbrella over four related personality types (for a total of 16 personality types).
NT - The "Intellectual"
Intellectuals (NTs) are intelligent, independent and determined.
They are high-achievers, driven not only to acquire but also to master large amounts of information. They are self-sufficient, logical and value reason. While Intellectuals have a desire to know everything, they also tend to question anything. Their keen interest in investigation and questioning make them great researchers and inventors.
They are good at seeing the "big picture." They work well alone and are able to concentrate and study for long periods of time. Intellectuals enjoy abstract and theoretical discussions. They respect brilliance and self-reliance in others. Intellectuals dislike illogical instructions and emotional conversations.
"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." — C.S. Lewis
- Thomas EdisonInventor
- Margaret ThatcherBritish Prime Minister
- Franklin RooseveltAmerican President
- Harrison FordActor
- Thomas JeffersonAmerican President
- Julia ChildChef, Author
- Walter RaleighWriter, Poet, Explorer
- Nikola TeslaInventor, Physicist
- Bill GatesMicrosoft Founder
- Sir Isaac NewtonAstronomer
- Jane AustenAuthor
- C. S. LewisApologist, Author
- SchwarzeneggerActor, Calif. Governor
- Walt DisneyEntrepreneur
- Lance ArmstrongCyclist
- Meryl StreepActress
- Carl JungPsychiatrist
- Albert EinsteinPhysicist
- Abraham LincolnAmerican President
- SocratesGreek Philosopher
- Susan B. AnthonyCivil Rights Leader
- GandalfLord of the Rings
- 'Doc' BrownBack to the Future
- Cosmo KramerSeinfeld
- Bugs BunnyLooney Tunes
- Mr. DarcyPride and Prejudice
- Michael CorleoneThe Godfather
- DataStar Trek
Intellectual Career Matches
NT's are commonly skilled at and often find satisfaction with the following careers.
- Systems Analyst
- NTs make up only about 12% of the general population.
- Female NTs are the most rare of all temperament-gender combinations, at just 3% of all people.
- Many notable thinkers, inventors and scientists have been NTs.
There are four pairs of opposite preferences. Everyone has a greater tendency toward one preference than the other in each pair. For example, in the Thinking (T) vs. Feeling (F) dichotomy, you personally have a stronger tendency toward Thinking (T). Each preference has a single letter (such as "F") that identifies it.
Extraversion vs. Introversion in You
Extraversion (E) and Introversion (I) are opposite preferences. Your natural tendency toward one is stronger than the other. Extraversion and Introversion describe how a person directs their energy either outwardly toward people and activities or inwardly toward thoughts and ideas. Of the two, your dominant preference is Introversion. Although everybody exhibits characteristics of each preference to some degree, you can be referred to as an Introvert.
- You are 48% more Introverted than the average
- You are part of the minority of people who are primarily Introverted
- Males on average are slightly more Introverted than females
Your Extraversion (E)
Extraversion is characterized by a preference to focus on the world outside the self. Extraverts are energized by social gatherings, parties and group activities. Extraverts are usually enthusiastic, gregarious and animated. Their communication style is verbal and assertive. Extraverts often need to talk. They enjoy the limelight.
- Energized by interaction
- Volunteers personal info
- Many friends
- Easy to approach
- Enjoys groups
Your Introversion (I)
Introversion is characterized by a preference to focus on the inside world. Introverts are energized by spending time alone or with a small group. They find large group gatherings draining because they seek depth instead of breadth of relationships. Introverts process information internally. They are often great listeners.
- Energized by time alone
- Keeps to self
- Internally aware
- Fewer friends
- Prefers smaller groups
- Thinks before speaking
- Enjoys solitude
Sensing vs. Intuition in You
You use Sensing (S) and Intuition (N) to receive and process new information either by using your five senses or in more abstract ways. Both preferences in this pair are used by everybody to some degree. With that said, you can be classified as Intuitive since your dominant preference is Intuition.
- You are 89% more Intuitive than the average
- You are part of the minority of people who are primarily Intuitive
- Males on average are slightly more Intuitive than females
Your Sensing (S)
Sensors focus on the present. They are "here and now" people. They are factual and process information through the five senses. They see things as they are because they are concrete and literal thinkers. They trust what is certain. Sensors value realism and common sense. They like ideas with practical applications.
- Lives in the present
- Aware of surroundings
- Notices details
- Goes by senses
- Trusts certainty
- Values common sense
Your Intuition (N)
Intuitive people live in the future. They are immersed in the world of possibilities. They process information through patterns and impressions. Intuitive people value inspiration and imagination. They gather knowledge by reading between the lines. Their abstract nature attracts them toward deep ideas, concepts and metaphors. They can see the "big picture" and are analytical.
- Sees possibilities
Thinking vs. Feeling in You
The Thinking (T) and Feeling (F) preference pair refers to how you make decisions, either by objective logic or subjective feeling. Your dominant preference is Thinking so you can be classified as a Thinker. Each of the two preferences are employed by everybody at different times and to different degrees.
- You are 2% more Thinking than the average
- Thinkers like you make up about half of the population
- The majority of males are Thinkers while the majority of females are Feelers
Your Thinking (T)
Thinking people are objective. They make decisions based on facts. They are ruled by their head instead of their heart (but are not without emotion). Thinking people judge situations and others based on logic. They value truth over tact and can easily identify flaws. They are critical thinkers and oriented toward problem solving.
- Decides with head
- Seeks truth
- Critical thinking
- Firm with people
- Driven by thought
Your Feeling (F)
Feeling people are subjective. They make decisions based on principles and values. They are ruled by their heart instead of their head. Feeling people judge situations and others based on feelings and extenuating circumstances. They seek to please others and want to be appreciated. They value harmony and empathy.
- Decides with heart
- Dislikes conflict
- Driven by emotion
- Easily hurt
Judging vs. Perceiving in You
Judging (J) and Perceiving (P) are how you interact with the world outside yourself, either in a structured or flexible manner. All people use both of these preferences to different degrees but one is more dominant. Since your dominant preference is Perceiving, you can be referred to as a Perceiver.
- You are 78% more Perceiving than the average
- You are part of the slight minority of people who are primarily Perceiving
- Males on average are slightly more Perceiving than females
Your Judging (J)