The INFP is an Intuitive, Feeling, and Perceiving Introvert. Also known as The Dreamers, you can easily spot these people in a party since… wait my bad, you won’t be able to spot them in a party since they meticulously avoid social gatherings. Instead, you’ll find them at home, curled up with a good book or hanging out with a small group of friends, where they can easily pay individual attention to each person. Speaking of individual attention, this is something that is very important to them – they are compassionate, thoughtful, and empathetic. INFPs are also very well aware of what they like and dislike, and let their principles guide the majority of decisions they make in their lives.
You may be wondering – how does all of this translate into their humor preferences? Well, given their unique personalities and individual quirks, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that their sense of humor is elusive to people who don’t know them well. Given their vivid imagination, curiosity, and self-deprecating tendencies, they are often misunderstood. However, even though their humor is definitely not everyone’s cup of tea, it is appreciated by their friends. Is there anything more an Introvert can truly need?
In this article, we decided to take a look at the INFP personality type through the lens of their humor, as well as quotes they find inspirational. This can provide a keen insight into the inner workings of their minds.
Humor can vastly differ among each personality type. It is based on their individual personality traits and preferences, which is completely normal and understandable.
INFPs have a preference for the absurd and this often translates to them having an odd sense of humor. It frequently goes over people’s heads but once a person gets to know the inner workings of an INFP, their sense of humor becomes much appreciated. INFPs excel at diverse comedy and have a knack for making even the most mundane concepts funny.
There is also a darker and more sarcastic side to the INFP humor. Since this type is used to others not “getting” them, they may not be inclined to express this preference out in the open. This gentle personality type has no intention to hurt people’s feelings in any way, which is why they proceed with caution when they make jokes which may be perceived as offensive. And when they joke around with people they don’t know, they tend to express themselves in a self-deprecating humorous way. This can often lead to people thinking they truly feel bad about themselves, however, INFPs use this sense of humor as a way to vent out feelings that could be bothering them. In a way, this humor style works very well for them – both because they are sure that they aren’t offending anyone but themselves and because they need to get their frustrations out in the world, in a humorous way.
Sometimes INFPs enjoy humor that cannot be easily decoded by others. This is largely due to their rich imagination, which allows them to find humor in things that most people may choose to ignore. They find this exploration of humor fascinating and are willing to dig in deeper if they perceive its potential. INFPs are curious creatures and enjoy opening themselves up to different things. They let their personality shine when they express themselves by being funny and making jokes.
When it comes to jokes, INFPs are definitely fans of puns. Especially puns that are considered a bit wacky – as people who don’t enjoy boredom, they definitely don’t mind getting silly. If they find something funny, they aren’t likely to pretend otherwise just for the sake of social conviction. The Dreamers are creative and when inspiration strikes them, they are likely to spend time thinking of new and intriguing ways to tackle a joke. Since they are typically bustling with imagination and unexplored concepts, it translates nicely into the jokes they make and appreciate.
Here is a taste of jokes they find funny:
- If Colgate Toothpaste kills 99.9% of germs, then what does Colgate Sensitive do?
Why, it kills 99.9% of germs, of course, but in a way that doesn’t hurt their feelings.
- What do you call a man with a sheet at his back? A man wearing a cape.
What do you call a man with a knapsack at his back? A man wearing a backpack.
What do you call a man with an ocean at his back? Wet.
There are plenty of good-hearted jokes being made about the INFP personality type – from memes to anecdotes, most of them are relatable to almost any Dreamer and can put a smile on their face. Following, we’ve listed the best hubs for INFP memes (and included our favorite INFP meme from each):
Reddit is a network of communities, based on people’s interests. There are thousands of subreddits on different topics — and INFP memes is one of them. r/INFPmemes has 7.7k members as of December 2020 and these members are very active — so you’ll be sure to find a new meme on there every couple of days.
Pinterest is an image sharing service, where people can create ‘pinboards’, which are essentially a collection of images united by a similar topic or idea, based on user preference. These pinboards aren’t limited to memes, as you can imagine, but can include different things that fit the intended aesthetic. For example, if someone were to make an INFP board, they would include memes, things that INFPs like, and anything else that can be linked to this personality type.
Tumblr is a microblogging service, where different users build and maintain blogs. They can follow each other, repost content, comment, and like. Tumblr supports a large pool of multimedia, such as videos, images, GIFs, audio, text posts, etc. Users can tag content in a suitable way, which makes it easier to be found by the next person in the internal search engine of the site. There are plenty of posts tagged #INFP on there, check them out!
Beneath their calm surface, INFPs have a passionate and emotional personality. They are drawn to the possibility of ‘what could be’. They can often face misunderstandings without letting their spirits down. And, they turn to literature and other art forms to make sense of themselves and build a better picture of who they are. Here are some of the quotes that INFPs can relate to, as well as quotes by famous representatives of this personality type.
Quotes INFPs Can Relate To
It’s easy for an INFP type to get inspired. Their calm and idealistic resolve can find the deeper meaning in anything if they give it enough time and thought. Here are some quotes that perfectly encapsulate the life philosophy of this personality type.
- “Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars and change the world.” – Harriet Tubman
- “A wonderful fact to reflect upon, that every human creature is constituted to be that profound secret and mystery to every other.” – Charles Dickens
- “Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them—that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” – Lao Tzu
- “People understand me so poorly that they don’t even understand my complaint about them not understanding me.” – Soren Kierkegaard
- “You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world, but you do have some say in who hurts you.” – John Green
- “The best you’ll ever do is to understand yourself, know what it is that you want, and not let the cattle stand in your way.” – Janet Fitch
- “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “I sometimes fall into the trap of doing what I think I should be doing rather than what I want to be doing.” – Bjork
- “To all the other dreamers out there, don’t ever stop or let the world’s negativity disenchant you or your spirit. If you surround yourself with love and the right people, anything is possible.” – Adam Green
Quotes by Famous INFP Personalities
If you want to know more about what makes an INFP celebrity or a fictional character — we’ve written a whole article on the topic. In the meantime, here are some quotes by famous INFPs.
- “If you could only sense how important you are to the lives of those you meet; how important you can be to the people you may never even dream of. There is something of yourself that you leave at every meeting with another person.” – Mr. Roger
- “The greatest problem in the world today is intolerance. Everyone is so intolerant of each other.” – Princess Diana
- “This above all: to thine own self be true. And it must follow, as the night the day. Thou canst not then be false to any man.” – William Shakespeare
- “Not to live for the day, that would be materialistic — but to treasure the day. I realize that most of us live on the skin — on the surface — without appreciating just how wonderful it is simply to be alive at all.” – Audrey Hepburn
- “It is useless to meet revenge with revenge; it will heal nothing.” – J. R. R. Tolkien